Our Journey to Mia Grace: How Is This Gonna Work?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How Is This Gonna Work?
















I have left my wife twice now. Once to take Butde to the airport, the second to rake leaves. Both times I returned to find my sweet Elise holding our two girls with a look on her face that said, "How is this gonna work?"

This was different than the homecoming I had envisioned - where I walked into songs and clapping and smiles and a deeble team cheer that went something like this:

Oh Dad, you're home soooo soon

We nearly forgot you were gone

B/c things here are orderly

They are fun, tidy, and calm

Elise and I are a bit worried about how it will go when I return to work. So it was late one night, after the girls had been put down, that my wife rubbed the back of my neck ever so softly and whispered, "Maybe you could become a professional blogger."

You know - in hindsight - I found her to be unusually complimentary of my work. Turns out now that it was all a subtle ploy to keep me here. In this house. Forever. Where I push pillows around all day long to cushion little falls. Where I live for American Idol at night. Where I might even watch the Pro Bowl.

Elise just figured that I could sign up a few sponsors, throw up a daily post or two during naptime, and then help her referree the rest of the time. I'm flatterred and all, but no thanks. This "stay-at-home-thing" is far too demanding a gig. It requires an evolved power that I don't yet possess. It calls for an intelligence that borders on clairvoyance. It bids the selfish to come and die.

No. I'd much prefer to pastor a church, thank you.

Besides, I worry about material. I mean, we're just your average family with 2 girls only 4 months apart, both under the age of one. We're not dealing with newsworthy stuff here - other than the usual challenges of parenting two very different children. One child, for example, was born for the California sun and the other will wear Coppertone like Desitin for the rest of her life. They have started to squabble like sisters do - generally b/c one thinks she IS the party and the other is afraid the party will end every time she closes her eyes.



3 comments:

Danielle said...

I would whole-heartedly support your endeavour to become a professional blogger. And what do you mean nothing to write about? Your posts about trivial things (re: shampooing of a bald heads and noises to make little ones poo) are some of the best yet. Truth be told, you could make diaper wipes sound interesting.

Whitney said...

I second the request for professional blogging, or at least the continuation of your blogging. I never knew that I could enjoy a post about something like washing non-existent hair as much as I did!

Unknown said...

To both Deebles--know that an old friend and fellow stay-at-homer empathizes at least 50% with you (I only have one munchkin to deal with, after all : ).
For the frustrations, long days, dazed and confused moments and wondering, too, if you will ever have an identity outside of a parasitic child's need... the moments and joys make any and all of it worthwhile -- even the diaper last week that leaked out the diaper, down the pant leg, across the bedroom carpet and left my toddler leaning stiffly over his bed saying over and over: "Yucky... yucky... yucky..."

The more you write, the more fodder for laughter in later days!