Our Journey to Mia Grace: Love...

Friday, February 8, 2008

Love...




Love. What a mystery - particularly in terms of capacity.
When marrying Elise, I had no idea - no idea how deep the well could go. Before, I was afraid of losing a part of me, of not getting enough "Dan Time" which 29 years of bachelorhood had more than amply conditioned me for. What I found, in the universe of covenantal love, was that "Dan Time" had changed its definition, and certainly its course. Turns out that I now have all the "Dan Time" I could ever want...it just almost always includes - desires - my bride.

Of course, we all need our alone time and, no, this is not about becoming co-dependent or enmeshed or whathaveya. It's just that love changes things. It expands. It always makes room for more.

So when I went to China, I worried again about love's capacity. How could I love Mia, I thought, with the same depth and intensity as I do Bri? Because when I look at Brianna, I think "You are so beautiful. THE most lovely, in fact. I love you with every ounce. I could not love you any more than I already do. There is no comparison."

Now a week after returning from China, I hold little Mia in my arms and I also think, "You are so beautiful. THE most lovely, in fact. I love you with every ounce. I could not love you any more than I already do. There is no comparison."
Love. It's an amazing thing. How it does that.

1 comment:

YvetteC said...

You hit it on the head, Dan. It's a mystery. Just wait until your girls start talking, and then tweens, then you'll really wonder about the mystery of love!