Our Journey to Mia Grace: Doctor Examination...

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Doctor Examination...

Just your typical day at the doctor's office...




It is appointments like this that leads me to more random thoughts:

* there is a universal truth about international travel and physical health: to say that one is feeling better, does not yet mean that one feels right.

* mcdonald's workers in China are dressed a lot nicer, but they are far too deliberate in their efforts. this severely hampers speed of service. i suggest they learn the good ol' american discipline called haste.

* going to art museums makes me feel shallow. and ignorant. they expose you, really. yesterday, while touring an ancient temple in guangzhou that had barely survived the cultural revolution, i caught myself saying, "Do I really have to see one more wood carving from the 3rd Century B.C.?" ugly american.

* speaking with someone who has a different primary language than you can be a great lesson in one's own language, I've found. earlier today, I was talking to Elsie and we were talking about social issues in China and comparing them to the states. I mentioned the word "liberal" and she gave me a confused look and asked me to explain what "liberal" means. I thought about it and realized that I had never really thought about what that word actually means. I know what the labels mean, I know what the stereotypes are...but the word? So words like "accepting" or "permissive" or "tolerant" or "open" came to mind...though nothing fully sufficed. I also discovered that every word I wanted to offer also had an implication on its antonym: conservative. So, for example, to say that liberal can mean "accepting"....would that mean, indirectly, that "conservative" does not mean accepting? What about "tolerant"? My beef, of course, is that there are certain groups who think they have the tolerance market cornered. When, in fact, we're all just a bit a la carte in the ways we dispense tolerance, aren't we? And "Open?" Can you be fully open but still remain conservative? Or is that an oxymoron?

You see, this is why labels are bad. It is also an example of how a blog can get lame really fast. (Please don't think I want a response here. This is not a conversation starter...it's called a really long line at the doctor's office.)

*
speaking of Elsie....she asked me if I played sports. I told her that I did and loved things like football, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. She said "Oh, that's why you're so big." Which I initially thought she intended as a compliment, but then I looked at her hands and they were making this motion over over her belly - like the hand motion you'd make to say you're pregnant. She said matter of factly, "That also happens here in China to men that used to play a lot of sports. They get old, then get bellies."

* as for mia's doctor appointment, she came out with flying colors - in spite of what is clearly an ear infection, allergic reaction, and congested lungs. it was a joke.

No comments: