Our Journey to Mia Grace: random musings

Sunday, January 27, 2008

random musings



This is footage from a brisk walk through Nanchang's retail promenade. Meanwhile, below are some random thoughts that have been swirling:

* Guess what the VERY first store I saw upon landing in Beijing, after baggage claim: Starbucks. Ah, good ol' IMPERIALISM....my fair weather friend.

* Guess what was the first thing I did "on my own" in Guangzhou today. Yup. Ordered me a "Tall" - with no room for cream.

* The China Airlines all serve hot meals on every flight. Even if it's only an hour long. They don't use puddlejumpers, either and the crews have better uniforms. Think about that.

* The service here is amazing. They are incredibly kind, gracious, and they KILL in their language skills. I'm convinced we don't stand a chance in the emerging global economy.

* I've seen only one mini-van in China thus far. Quite a commentary, I think, in of itself. It was a Chrysler....which is another.

* Things I miss about the U.S. - mexican food...smoking laws...intimate space zones...traffic laws...traffic lights...the sun...italian food, but not nearly as much as some tacos...or the chicken and cream cheese enchiladas from El Ranchito...working heaters in stores, restaurants, hotel lobbies...tap water...Walk-in health clinics....the occasional cell phone etiquette...the quesadillas at La Tienda Casa Paloma...or their french toast, ironically enough.

* Things I love about China - the way they place their napkins: half on the table, half off. That way it never falls off. There's enough slack to reach your chin without bending (for the average man, of which I am) and yet, it won't hit the floor, nor your chair. Having a cloth to cover your lap I've always felt was over-rated...chopsticks. love 'em. gettin' good with them...food tastes better I think. plus, I think I'm really cool when I use them. Especially, when I don't have to think about it. You know, like tonight, when we were out for tai food and I was in a great conversation with someone who was sharing something rather personal when all of a sudden I thought, "Dan, look at you with those chops in your hand. You're so natural. With such ease, you use these sticks. Why, they might confuse you for an ex-patriot. Or CIA."...

More things I love about China: the food. I know you've heard me talk about pizza and McDonald's but that was always Butde's idea. I go where there are chopsticks.

Most of all: their warm spirits...gracious hearts...it's humbling.

I went to a church service today. It was truly good for the soul. I was having a rough couple of days and needed a little perspective - you know the reminder that I'm a Christ follower. So, it truly was powerful at times (at others, quite dull) - sitting there, singing worship songs in both mandarin and english, and holding my little Mia...worshiping over her, praying for her, then feeding her a bottle (Moms: how do you ever hear a word the pastor says?). Anyhow, it was just what I needed.

Naturally, I couldn't help but to make a few comparisons - which I found some similarities:
1. They started right on time, and everyone still arrived 15 minutes late
2. They told people to silence their cell phones and no one stirred.
3. The place was FREEZING
4. The pastor went long

So, we must be doing something right....

3 comments:

Clarke said...

That's so weird...our pastor preached on videotape this morning and he went long too (and everyone arrived 15 minutes late) - small world :-O

Clarke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

dan, i (caley)just learned to use chopsticks this week, and i agree, i am much cooler when i eat with them. hey, people clapped for your sermon today, it was cool to watch them fully engaged with the screen. next thing maybe could be preaching with chopsticks??? just an idea.